Accredited Marine Surveyors (AMS®)
Our Accredited Marine Surveyor® (AMS®) members must have a minimum of 5 years experience and must pass a written examination by our testing committee in order to earn his or her AMS® credential. They must also meet continuing education requirements in order to maintain that credential.
Requirements for AMS® status are as follows:
- Candidates must be currently practicing marine surveyors with at least five (5) years surveying experience, accumulated within the past ten (10) years, in the field of expertise which accreditation is desired. Credit of up to three (3) years of the five (5) years required may be granted for related marine experience. Acceptability of related marine experience shall be determined by the membership committee and/or Board of Directors.
- Applicants must affirm that they will abide by the By-Laws Code of Ethics, Standards, official decisions and amendments to such of the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS®).
- Candidates must complete an application form, supply a complete resume and submit for review a number of surveys as may be required by the Membership Committee.
- Candidates must successfully complete a written and/or an oral exam on their selected field of accreditation as prescribed by the Testing Committee and conducted by that Committee or their designated representative. Cost related to administration of said examination shall be born by the candidates. Examinations will be reviewed by the Testing Committee and submitted to the Membership Committee.
- Applicants must agree to participate in and meet all requirements of the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors' (SAMS®) program of continuing education as established by the Education Committee and/or Board of Directors.
- An Accredited Marine Surveyor who has actively participated in his/her field of specialization as a marine surveyor for at least twenty (20) years, and has made significant contributions to the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, may be designated as a Senior Marine Surveyor (AMS-SMS). This is an honorary classification which is approved by the Board of Directors.